Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Another Wonder of the World Wide Web

OK, at the beginning of the year I said that I was taking myself off of MySpace
and Facebook because I felt too old to be doing such hoo-la-la. I mean, when one of the friends' 14 year old kid asked me to be her friend on Facebook, I felt like a big loser. But hey! What was my problem? What's wrong with having friends not simply of all races, creeds, and colors, but of all ages, too? Heck, bring it on.

So anyway, I actually did take myself off of MySpace, but it's simply not that easy to do with Facebook. I couldn't do it, anyway. But I can't seem to send off a personal message to a single person without accidentally sending it to 50 people. Oh, but there are so many joys to Facebook! Now that I'm back on it, I can piss off half the day by playing Scrabulous. And I can discover the joys of the Edinburgh-based comedy stylings of Idiots of Ants:



More importantly, I can keep up with loads of people I haven't seen or even thought about in years! One such person is Robin Jones, a guy that was going to the University of Houston when I was in the Creative Writing Program there and was teaching Comp 101 as a teaching assistant. Talented Robin was always popping up in the most unexpected places. Once he burst into my classroom, tap-dancing and singing about wanting to know about gerunds. Another night in some late '80's December, I was sitting in Cafe Express with a couple of friends, and a Santa Claus freaked me out when he made a run for me and sat on my lap. Needless to say, Mr. Claus was, in actuality, Mr. Jones.

Well, he's one of those people I hadn't seen or thought about for years. No, that's not true. Every time I've thought about gerunds, or Santa, for the past 20 years, he's the first thing that pops into my head. So now we've found each other again on Facebook, and the magic's back in my life! I thought that I was the biggest pop-culture geek on the planet, but I've found my match. Robin Jones has three pretty amazing blogs, and they all address everything from Robert Culp to Mannix. It's well-written, pretty entertaining stuff, and if you get bored with Facebook, you can always spend hours watching old TV trailers. I know I do:

Your Fiend Mr. Jones

Mr. Jones Challenges You to Cast a Fictitious Remake
You Know the Face...
He's a real find.
Even if he doesn't know what a gerund is.